Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Is There More To Life?

Do we really need education? Yes. But what if it doesn't work?

It's been almost two years since I last went to a university - to get a bachelor's degree, to be exact. Long story short, I graduated as a diploma student in March 2013. Then I continued with degree in September 2013. But it didn't work out for me so I took a break and quit before the semester ended.

So here I am with only a diploma and it is very hard to look for a job here in Kuching. Seems like just having a diploma is not enough to get a job - jobs with a good position, in my case a quantity surveyor. I never wanted to be a QS but since I haven't been able to get into any university to continue with my degree (even though I tried applying every semester), I thought maybe I could work for the mean time before deciding on my next move. Makes me wonder why Malaysia made a system where a diploma is an option to choose from after graduating from high school. I'm not mad but I studied for three years just to get a diploma and I can't get a single job with it. Here in Malaysia, it's like vital to have at least a bachelor's degree to apply for a job. And it's not even guaranteed yet that you will get the job because it also depends on your working experience, previous accomplishments etc. which are understandable. But no, not with a diploma.

Last week, I've decided. I've been thinking about it for quite some time already but after I knew what I heard, it's best if I try to focus on doing things based on the skills that I have and maybe try to make a living out of it. It seems like I might not be able to continue with my degree any soon, so yeah. I'm still living with my parents but I don't want to depend on them for too long. The kind of person I am, an independent one and the kind who cannot go through a day without doing anything productive at all, I want to take things more seriously as in thinking of what to do as a career - something that I can do to make a living.

If you don't know this already, I help my mom with her 'business at home' work. She sews statement necklaces, handmade ones and Alhamdulillah her business has been doing well. Our little business is called Hanicomb Handmade and if you'd like to check it out, you can visit her instagram @ida_hanicomb . Other than that, I also bake. Yes, baking. Specifically chocolate chip cream cheesecake and brownies. Not going to talk about it here so do click on the links to know more about it. I also started making YouTube videos. It's going slow at the moment just because the past few weeks have been hectic for me. And you're thinking like what do I do at home that keeps me so occupied? Let me sum it up for you;

Around 9am - I wake up and take a shower

Just before noon - If my parents are getting takeaways, then I'll sew. If not, I'll cook lunch

12 - 2pm - Cook, eat, clean and prayers

After that - Usually I'd just chill for a bit. Play Hay Day, the piano, watch some YouTube videos or watch anime (YES, just recently. My boyfriend got me hooked!) But if there's laundry, then doing the laundry it is. And fold the dry clothes.

Around 4pm - Prayers and maybe more sewing to be done if there's any. If my brownies are almost out of stock at the cafeteria (the place where I send my brownies from time to time to sell), I'll bake some more.

Around 6pm - I start exercising. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes. After I'm done, I would just relax and cool off before next prayers.

Around 7pm - Head out for dinner. If not, I'll cook dinner. Then eat and clean.

Around 9pm - Chill if I don't have anything else to do. If not, I'd sew.

So this is what I do on a day to day basis. If I do have extra time like now, I would blog a bit. More extra time? I'd try to make YouTube videos. Basically, I'm a 'housewife'. Not that it's a bad thing. In fact, I actually thought to myself that maybe I am meant to be a stay at home mom in the future and just work with whatever I can for extra income like sewing and baking. And who knows, I might be able to make a living from blogging and youtubing too!

I don't know, at this point of my life, I just need to do what I can and see how it goes from there. If my brownies are selling out faster each day, I might just need to do that full time and target a new goal. If my mom's orders for necklaces increase, I might have to work with her full time since no one else helps her with the sewing other than me. So at the moment, I can't really decide on anything specific but I am definitely going to do this all the way. Consistently, efficiently and give my best when I do it.

So back to the initial question, Do we really need education? Yes, we do. I'm sure everyone is aware of its importance. But, what if, it doesn't work out for you? I'd say, find your skills. Know them, acknowledge them and think about what you can do with them. Take advantage of them! Are you an athlete? Love working out? Maybe become a personal trainer. But if it seems more difficult to become a personal trainer than you thought, start small. Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe make an Instagram account to post workout videos or start a YouTube channel. You can also blog about it! Do you like cooking? Maybe start sharing your recipes online. People are always looking for recipes online. I remember when I googled How Long Does It Take To Boil Potatoes! Haha.. As simple as that would do. But if you feel like you have this extra skill to cook like a chef at home, then share that! I can go on and on about all sorts of things but as you can see, there is no limit. "The limit does not exist!" Haha..

Take your time, find your true passion. Maybe it's not a passion, maybe it's a skill. Still, you can get something out of it if you try working on it. We are always unsure but that's why, you can try. If it works out, you gain! If it doesn't, you can try other things. You have nothing to lose, guys.

I scroll through Instagram and let me tell you. I can say that 99% people around my age are either still studying or working. And sometimes that makes me feel left behind. Like what am I doing with my life? And then I come to realization, I do a lot of stuff. I have skills that maybe not a lot of people have at my age, you know? I get to experience so many things earlier than others. My outlook on life and everything else has changed ever since. Today, I can say that I'm healthier because I have time to exercise properly, I'm happier because I'm actually doing things that I like, like sewing and baking and I'm stress-free! I'm wiser because I've experienced so much in my life - the relationships that I once had and still have now, the types of people I've met, the society that I chose to live in now etc. - things that you can't really get or experience in school.

This is not supposed to be a long post..

I am content. But I want to improve and do more. That's just the way I am. And if you're in the same boat as mine, you can too! You just have to start trying and explore, if you can. Not being able to continuing with your studies is not the end of it. I promise you, there's more to life than just that.

If you've reached this point of this post, I love you. Feed backs, suggestions, tips etc. are all welcome!

Xoxo, Ayu

No comments:

Post a Comment